Men’s hair presents an astonishing variety of textures, shapes, and colors. Whether your locks are short, straight, long, or wavy, knowing your hair type is the first step to maintaining a resplendent mane associated with good health. In this article, we will explain how to determine your hair type and how to care for it.
How to care for each type of men’s hair: tips for normal, dry, and oily hair
The choice of your hair products is imperative based on the texture of your hair.
Normal hair: what care for this type of men’s hair?
Normal hair is well-balanced, neither too dry nor too oily. They usually have a beautiful shine and are easy to style. However, this does not mean that they do not require any specific care.
To maintain the health of your normal hair, follow these tips:
- Use a gentle shampoo and a moisturizing conditioner to clean your hair without drying it out.
- Avoid applying too many styling products that can weigh down your hair.
- Dare to try different haircuts. Normal hair is quite versatile and can adapt to a variety of looks – from classic to bold – without requiring specific care.
Dry hair: how to provide hydration?
Dry hair tends to lack hydration, which can make them dull or brittle. They require nourishing hair care to stay healthy.
Here are some care tips for dry hair:
- Use a shampoo, conditioner, or even a mask that is rich and moisturizing, specifically designed for dry hair. There are many available in stores.
- It is important to regularly use hair masks or nourishing oil treatments to repair and strengthen your hair. Products based on argan oil, coconut, avocado, olive, or jojoba are very effective.
- Avoid straightening irons or other heating tools that can further dry out your hair. If you insist on using them, apply a heat protectant beforehand.
- Regularly trimming the ends and opting for shorter hair can help reduce dryness and breakage.
Oily hair: how to fight against excess sebum production?
Oily hair can be the result of excess sebum production. This type of hair can appear heavy, dull, or unkempt and requires specific care to reduce excess sebum.
Here’s how to take care of oily hair:
- Use a clarifying shampoo to deeply cleanse your hair and scalp without drying them out. Some dry shampoos can be beneficial for oily hair.
- Avoid applying heavy gels and hair products, as they can unpleasantly increase the oily effect.
- Opt for a shorter haircut. Not only can this help improve the appearance of oily hair, but it can also make hair care and styling easier.
- Also, know that bleaching dries out hair.
Care adapted to different men’s hair types: straight, wavy, curly, kinky…
The shape of your hair not only influences how you style it but also how you should take care of it.
Straight hair: how to maintain its shine?
Straight hair tends to be soft and easy to style. However, they can also tend to become flat and without volume.
To take care of straight hair, you can:
- Use a lightweight shampoo and conditioner that is not heavy on your hair;
- Experiment with volumizing products to add body to your hair;
- Ask your hairdresser for a cut that adds movement and enhances texture.
Wavy hair: how to preserve natural curls?
Highly appreciated, wavy hair often has volume and movement. However, they can also be more difficult to discipline and style.
For wavy hair care, consider:
- Using a moisturizing conditioner to help define your waves;
- Applying a styling product mixed with water to give more hold to your curls without weighing them down;
- Avoid brushing your hair when dry to maintain the shape of your curls. Preferably, use a wide-tooth comb after applying a little water or a moisturizing hair product, or both.
Curly hair: what care for men’s curly hair?
Curly hair requires specific care to avoid frizz and maintain defined curls.
To take care of curly hair, follow these recommendations:
- Use moisturizing and defining products for curls to keep your hair healthy and your curls well-defined.
- Avoid brushing your hair when it’s dry. Like with wavy hair, detangling should be done with a wide-tooth comb after applying a little water or a moisturizing hair product, or both.
- Experiment with styling techniques for curly hair, such as plopping or scrunching to help define your curls.
- Plopping: drying your hair by gathering it on top of your head after washing, then wrapping it in a cotton t-shirt.
- Scrunching: pressing the ends of your hair into your palms and scrunching up towards the roots.
Frizzy Hair: How to Maintain Hydration and Suppleness?
Kinky hair has very tight curls and appears more voluminous. They require specific care to stay hydrated, flexible, and above all, easy to style.
Here are some tips for taking care of frizzy hair:
- Use products rich in moisturizing and nourishing ingredients, such as oil baths or suitable hair masks, to best care for your hair.
- Avoid products containing sulfates and alcohol, such as some styling gels and hairsprays that can damage your hair.
- You can use daily styling products based on shea butter, avocado oil, and jojoba, which facilitate styling and give a supple and shiny appearance to the hair.
Hair Coloring for Men: Tips for a Discreet and Natural Color
Embracing your gray hair can give you a lot of presence, and there are different products to enhance it. However, men have never colored and bleached their hair as much as they do now to hide their gray hair or simply change their hair color for aesthetic or stylistic reasons. To prioritize a natural look, here are some tips.
Prefer a color close to your natural color
This is rule number one for successful coloring. If you choose a color that is too far from your natural color, the result may be disappointing. Choose a shade that varies little from your base color, ideally no more than two shades.
Favor semi-permanent coloring products
These coloring products degrade and fade over time and with shampoos, making the color change less noticeable and therefore much more natural. This also makes it possible to avoid the root effect, which is very unsightly when your hair grows back.
Choose your product carefully
We recommend using products made from natural and plant-based ingredients, such as henna, instead of resorting to conventional dyes that are often saturated with hydrogen peroxide and ammonia, which can be harmful to health. To identify potential toxic substances in the products that interest you, we suggest using specialized applications for evaluating cosmetic products.
Be careful with extreme colors
Radical shades like jet black or platinum blonde can look synthetic and unduly draw attention. Unless you’re aiming for a particular style – gothic or rock, for example – opt for more subtle and natural colors.
However, don’t forget that hair coloring is a form of personal expression and that you should always opt for a color that makes you feel comfortable, whether it’s discreet or bold.
Maintain Your Color
Coloring requires specific maintenance to maintain its shine and natural appearance. Use a shampoo and conditioner specially designed for colored hair to preserve the vibrancy of your color and prevent it from deteriorating prematurely. It is necessary to treat colored hair well, which is fragile.
These tips should help you achieve a hair color that gives an authentic and refined impression. Ideally, you should seek the expertise of a hair colorist and, if possible, a stylist.
Treating Dandruff in Men: Tips and Advice
Dandruff, which manifests as white or yellowish flakes detaching from the scalp, can affect anyone, regardless of hair type. Although generally associated with a dry scalp, it can also be caused by an excessively oily scalp.
Here are some tips for combating dandruff in men:
- Use an anti-dandruff shampoo: this type of product contains active ingredients that fight the yeasts and fungi responsible for dandruff.
- Take care of your scalp: a healthy scalp is essential to prevent dandruff. Incorporate scalp care into your hair routine, such as a massage to stimulate blood circulation and promote hair health.
- Adopt a balanced diet: a diet rich in vitamin B, zinc, and essential fatty acids can help preserve scalp health and prevent the appearance of dandruff.
- Avoid aggressive styling products: gels, mousses, and sprays can irritate the scalp and promote the appearance of dandruff. Try to use natural and gentle products for your hair.
Finally, if despite all your precautions, you continue to suffer from dandruff, it would be beneficial to consult a dermatologist. This health specialist can help you determine the precise cause of your dandruff and develop an appropriate treatment.
In short, whatever your hair type, the essential thing is to know it and accept it to enhance it. After all, your hair is a reflection of your personality and individuality. So, dear readers, take good care of your hair, for it symbolizes your vitality, even your health.