Since its appearance in the 1970s, the French Manicure has gone through various trends without going out of style. Classic, chic, and timeless, it remains a safe bet even today. We owe this creation to Jeff Pink, founder of the famous nail polish brand ORLY, who wanted to meet the needs of Hollywood stars. They desired a manicure that would go with all clothing styles. This technique quickly became famous worldwide, and “the French” is still as trendy in 2023; but what are the secrets of such success and how to properly adopt the French Manicure?
The originality of the French Manicure
Nowadays, the term “French” encompasses the traditional French Manicure but also other more original forms. The colors of the French Manicure can vary, and you can add patterns or even rhinestones to the characteristic white tip.
It is also possible to reverse the trend with the “Reverse French Manicure“. It consists of highlighting, with a contrasting color, not the tip of the nail but its base. The white half-moon-shaped spot at the base of the nail is called the lunula.
If you prefer a less strict style, you can opt for a “French ombré”. The different styles of French Manicure, with all their possibilities, allow you to express your personality in a thousand and one ways and make each manicure as unique as the person wearing it.
Why adopt the French Manicure
The French Manicure will be your beauty ally in all circumstances. Whether for everyday life or a special occasion, it will enhance your look with elegance, simplicity, and originality.
More than an aesthetic choice, it will also be beneficial for the health of your nails. The gestures it involves, such as filing or pushing back the cuticles, promote nail growth and make them stronger and healthier.
How to succeed in the French Manicure at home?
Performing a French Manicure at home is within everyone’s reach. Follow the detailed steps below to do a French Manicure at home:
- Prepare the nails: start by removing any existing nail polish. Then, soak your hands in warm water to soften the cuticles. Gently push them back with a wooden stick.
- File your nails into the shape you want, rounded or square with rounded edges. Make sure they are the same length. No need to have long nails: the French Manicure on short nails is also very trendy!
- Apply a base: apply a transparent base to protect your nails and facilitate the application of the polish. Let it dry.
- Apply pink or nude polish: apply two thin coats of pink or nude polish over the entire nail and let it dry well between each coat.
- Draw the white tip: with a white polish, draw a thin edge on the tip of each nail. If you’re not sure, you can use adhesive tape to delimit the area. You can also use powder polish, which is even easier to apply and ideal for an ombré effect.
- Finalize with top coat: once the white polish is dry, apply a coat of top coat to add shine and protect your manicure. Let it dry well.
For a touch of originality, don’t hesitate to replace the white polish with another color, add glitter, or play with graphic patterns.
How to maintain your French Manicure?
To keep your French Manicure as long as possible, here are some tips to take care of it:
- Avoid using your nails as tools: opening a can or peeling off a sticker can damage your nails and your manicure.
- Hydrate regularly: use a hand cream and a cuticle moisturizer to keep your nails and hands healthy.
- Wear gloves: whether for doing dishes or gardening, protect your nails from dirt and breakage.
- Regularly apply top coat: an additional layer of top coat every two or three days can help extend the life of your manicure.
How to choose the right provider for your French Manicure?
Here are some criteria to consider when choosing your salon and thus get the result you expect for your gel French manicure:
- The training and certifications of the staff: make sure your nail technician is trained and certified.
- Sanitary standards: check that the salon is clean and that the tools are well disinfected between each client.
- The products used: prefer salons that use quality products, preferably without toxic substances.
- Customer reviews: check online reviews and ask for recommendations from your friends to choose a reputable salon.
- The price-quality ratio: compare the prices of the services offered with other salons to ensure you get the best value for money.
Whether you opt for a classic version, a colored French Manicure version, or a more personal version, French Manicure nails will bring an elegant and versatile touch to your style.
At home or in a salon, you will take care of your nails while enhancing them at the same time. Don’t forget to also take care of your hands. Hydrate them and protect them from the sun to prevent their aging. They will be your main ally to highlight your manicure, and vice versa.
Equipped with the right tools, the right products, and a little patience, you can maintain your manicure in perfect condition for several weeks. It will quickly become an asset to enhance your style.
Do you have a photo of your latest French Manicure or any tips to keep it in perfect condition? We would be delighted if you shared them with us on our various social networks! We are eager to discover your creations.