Identifying your personal color palette, inspired by the four seasons, is the essential starting point for a transformative and successful makeover. The Ecostylia team explains how to master this technique to bring out the best in yourself.
The basics of color analysis
Image consulting professionals place particular importance on color analysis to enhance a person’s appearance. By carefully choosing colors for clothing, accessories and makeup, they enhance their clients’ skin tone, eye color and hair color. The color analysis takes into account the warm colors and cold colors according to the characteristics of each individual.
How to perform your color analysis?
To determine your personal colors, you can perform a color analysis test using the draping method. Use different colored scarves, ideally silk, which you can easily buy on the internet.
This color analysis test will bring you a lot, allowing you to find what suits you best.
Here are the steps to recognize the season in everyone with the draping method:
- Prepare the scarves representing the 4 seasons (Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter). The colors must be specific to each season. For example, for Spring, choose soft and warm colors, for Summer light and cool colors, for Fall warm and earthy colors and for Winter cool and intense colors.
- Sit the test subject in a well-lit area, preferably in natural light. It is important that the person’s face is clear, without makeup, jewelry or colored clothing that could distort the result.
- Drape a fabric from each season around the person’s face, leaving enough room to see the effect of the colors on the complexion, hair and eyes. Take the time to observe – 30 seconds is enough – the reactions of the skin, hair and eyes to different colors.
- Compare the effects of each season’s colors on the person. The right colors will brighten the complexion, soften imperfections, enhance the eyesand hair, while the wrong colors will make the skin look dull, accentuate dark circles, redness and blemishes.
- Determine the season that best suits the person based on the harmony between the colors of the drape and the person’s natural features. If one season seems more flattering than the others, it is probably the person’s colorimetric season.
By following these steps, you can reliably determine a person’s color season.
The four seasons of color analysis
Now here are the recommendations for each color season:
Choose soft and warm colors: pink, peach, ivory, sand, coral, poppy red, cream, vanilla, eggplant, olive green, caramel salmon, lavender blue, turquoise, mandarin. Avoid dark and intense colors. Golden and caramel highlights brighten your hair. Do not wear pure white, navy or burgundy. Choose jewelry in yellow gold, gold, ivory and jade.
Do you have very light hair, complexion and eyes? Ideal colors are pale pink, pastels, sky blues, soft blue-greens, lilac, lemon yellows, ecru. Candy pink, silver and white gold jewelry, white pearls, aquamarines and diamonds look good on you. Pastel or silver frames personalize your look. Avoid strong colors.
Your palette has warm, earthy colors: amber, gold, hazelnut, ochre. Stay close to brown, easy to match with glamorous leather goods. Wear mustard yellow, khaki, olive green, plum, paprika, strong orange. Brown is better than black, navy blue or gray near the face. Dare jewelry and accessories bronze, copper, rust. Play with nuances for a singular style.
Choose intense colors: burgundy, purple, dark brown, royal blue, navy, petroleum, duck, bottle green, khaki, fuchsia, intense purples, charcoal gray. Yellows, pinks, blues and light grays are possible if they are cool and very pale. Avoid warm colors like bright yellow, beige, pastels and fluorescent.
color analysis, your ally to enhance your appearance
By mastering your color analysis, you are able to choose the colors that best suit you. Wear colors from your seasonal palette close to your face to look fresher, more rested and rejuvenated.
Keep in mind that your color analysis may change over time, especially if your hair turns gray, bleaches or if you color it. Do not hesitate to redo the drape test to follow the evolution of your color analysis.
Here are some tips on how to get the most out of your color analysis:
To create harmonious outfits, think about color combinations. Here are some ideas for pairing them well:
Use the color wheel to locate the complementary colors, which are located opposite each other: red and green, yellow and purple, blue and orange.
Go for a cameo, which is wearing different shades of the same color, or a monochromatic look, especially if you want to look taller and thinner.
For two-tone outfits, choose accessories that recall one of the two colors, such as black and white with beads or silver jewelry.
For tricolor outfits, limit accessories and favor harmonious combinations, such as orange-brown-yellow or blue-violet-green.
The language of colors
The colors you wear send a message and can influence how those around you perceive you. Here is a summary of the emotions generally associated with each color:
Color analysis is a precious tool to beautify your face and give you a better look. By taking into account the colors that best suit you, you can compose harmonious outfits that reflect your personality. Thus, you will improve your image and your communication.
Don’t forget to redo the color analysis test if your appearance changes over time. And above all, dare to use colors, they will give you back!